Tillie goes to the gym almost every day. For me, it’s more of a “when it’s convenient” type of thing. So when I see someone riding a bike around the city, part of me thinks: “Good for you, what a smart and really healthy (not to mention, green) way to get around and work out.” The other part of me thinks: “Stay out of my way, and I’ll stay out of yours.” I think that’s fair enough, no?
What’s NOT fair enough, or considerate, nor does it even make sense (hence why I’m writing about it), is when said bike riders carry their bikes onto public transportation.
In my humble opinion, bringing a bike onto a bus or on the subway is without a doubt, stupid. Not only does the bicycle take up standing space, but its hazardous to maneuver around, the wheels are dirty and heaven forbid you brush up against the chain you’ll get black oil all over everything, resulting a serious WTF moment.
The concept of carrying your bike onto another form of transportation seems to cancel out the original intent of taking out your bike in the first place. Sure, as you’re flying down Park Avenue you might feel like you’re getting some appreciation for being environmentally aware and getting in that quick work out, but trust me when I tell you; no one appreciates your care for the environment when you insensitively hop onto busy 6-train, bike in tow. No, the bike does NOT easily fit into the door area, and YES you’re bothering everyone. There’s not one person that tries to board the train that isn’t thinking: “Really, guy? Had to take the bike out this morning even though you were going to get on a train anyway?” Now my pants are messy because I tripped over your dirty tire on my way to work.
I just think that one form of transportation does not belong ON another especially when it’s nothing but in the way, that’s all. Simple.
peace.love.BossBitch.
peace.love.BossBitch.
Brand New Key – Melanie
Love this!
ReplyDelete