Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"the cabs are here"

Yellow cabs.  I have a love/hate relationship with them [mostly hate]. This is why:

LOVE:

They get you where you want to go in relative (and I use this term lightly) comfort for a "fair" price.  Nothing is better than door to door service on a rainy day, snowy night, when you are running late to work, or when you're blackout downtown and you really just need to get your ass home so you don't risk puking on the guy who's been chatting you up for an hour (that's no way to thank him for those drinks! Or is it...) I especially love the feeling of getting into a cab when you are just feeling plain lazy.  When the train station or bus stop is "too far away".
 
HATE:
 
The majority of them smell - like fast food, Indian food, toilets - you get the point.

If there's traffic and its a long journey - that meter creeps up. Real quick.

When the drivers have NO IDEA where they are going. How do you drive a cab around NYC and NOT know where you are going?

When the drivers PRETEND they have no idea where they're going. I grew up here, you punk, now get off Park Avenue!

I feel like most cab drivers won their license in a raffle and its pretty much a gamble if you'll survive the journey. Please slow down - I did NOT say I was in a rush and no part of this city is a race track.

When they tell you that their credit card machine doesn't work.  Who carries cash anymore?  I mean... really...

When they won't take 5 people in a Minivan.  Dude - your car is MADE for more than 5 people and I swear you won't get a ticket.


Dearest Cabbies - I know its tough to drive in the City, but you pretty much drive around ALL day, every day and, if my mathematical equations are correct, this should mean you're good at it. I'm good at things I do everyday - practice makes perfect. Before I go, an air freshener would go a LONG way. I like Macintosh Apple from Yankee Candle.

Over & Out,
Ice Queen

P.S.  Watch one of my favorite comedians rant about cabbies here.  Thanks to LL.


Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

3 comments:

  1. I hate when they get angry about traffic. Your job is to drive all day in traffic and get paid for it, don't get mad, it ruins the ride for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and think it is absolutely hilarious. Thank you for giving me a good laugh today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA I completely feel your pain. There has been way too many times when me and friends have gone into New York City in torrential downpour and need to get from point A to point B and hate taking the subway -- we find ourselves literally watching the meter go up with every second we sit in the cab... horrible!

    ReplyDelete