Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yankees Universe.

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Spring is in the air, flowers are in bloom, bees are buzzing and birds are chirping.  Most importantly, my boys are back! Today is Opening Day at Yankee Stadium and I am over-the-moon ecstatic!

Growing up in New York, I was bred on the Yankees.  Quite honestly, as far as I'm concerned it's a Yankees Universe and everyone else can just get out.  For as long as I can remember I've watched almost every game nuzzled under my Dad's arm.  Now-a-days, we sit side by side in our authentic Yankees bleacher seats from the old Stadium (we're really serious).  I have him to thank for my fixation.  When I was little, I was asked questions like: "Who covers third when the baseman goes to catch a fly ball in-field?" As i got older, the questions got harder: "Okay [BossBitch], there is a man on first and a man on third; what is the pitcher thinking right now?" I'm utterly obsessed with this all-American sport and with my boys in pin-stripes.

It may or may not be cliche, but I've been in love with Derek Jeter since I knew what the word "love" meant.  Then A-Rod came into the picture and D.J. had some serio competition.  These days however, Teixeira has my heart. I cried when Pauly and Petite announced their retirements.  By chance, I was at the Steinbrenner tribute game, and undoubtedly got emotional then as well.  Best believe I'm up on my feet doing the YMCA during every 7th inning stretch, and if you haven't been to the new stadium you're sorely missing out.  It is the most magnificent structure in the BX.  Simply, it sparkles.

My favorite games of all time are those I attend with my Dad.  In the past we shared peanuts, and now we share beers.  I still get quizzed and I can confidently answer every question thrown my way.  Baseball season is wonderful in New York and if you live here, whether you like it or not the Yankees automatically become a part of your world.  Yankee fans are one big gigantic family.  We actually feel the love in our chests and when we breathe.  Even right now as I sit in my cubicle, writing this post with the game playing live on my desktop (we're up 5-3, top of the 8th), I have tears of the purest joy gathering in my eyes.  One Love to all my Yankee peoples - we're going for 28 this year!

.BossBitch

New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

No comments:

Post a Comment